Stater Bros. Markets

A History of Success

Founders Cleo and Leo Stater opened the first Stater Bros. grocery store in Yucaipa, California on August 17, 1936, during the Great Depression. Since then, Stater Bros. Markets has continued to grow and add additional stores throughout Southern California. The company was first listed on the Fortune 500 in 2005 and was voted ‘America’s Retailer of the Year’ in 2001 and 2004. Today, the company has 168 supermarket locations, 18,000 employees and annual sales of nearly $4 billion.

In 2007, Stater Bros. moved to its new 2.3 million square foot corporate office and Norton Distribution Center campus situated on 200 acres in San Bernardino, California.  This larger location allowed the company to consolidate its operations under one roof. Doing so gave Stater Bros.  an even greater advantage as a key  player in the highly competitive Southern California supermarket industry.

Serving at the helm of Stater Bros. Markets is Executive Chairman Jack H. Brown, a 60-year supermarket veteran. Under Jack’s guidance and leadership, Stater Bros. Markets has grown to become the largest privately-owned supermarket chain in Southern California as well as the largest private employer in both San Bernardino and Riverside Counties.

Stater Bros. has been continually rated as the #1 Full Service Supermarket Chain in Southern California by a leading national consumer magazine.