Updated January 1, 2020
Table of Contents
- General Policy
- Collection of Information
- Use of Information
- How We Share Your Information with Third Parties
- Data Security
- California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018
- Other Rights of California Residents
- Third-Party Websites
- Access From Outside the United States
- Changes to Policy
- Contact Information
Collection of Information
Information We CollectWe collect information you provide directly to us, information from third parties, and information that we collect through automated means, such as when you access the Sites or open an email we send you. Such information may include “Personal Information”, which means information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or household. Personal Information may include the following categories of information about you or your use of the Sites: (1) identifiers (such as name, telephone number, postal address, email address, unique personal identifier, or account name); (2) commercial information (such as transaction data); (3) financial data (such as credit card or debit card information); (4) Internet or other network or device activity (such as browsing history); (5) device identifiers (such as IP address); (6) geolocation information; (7) professional or employment-related data; (7) inference data about you; (8) legally-protected classifications (such as if you reveal gender); (9) physical characteristics or descriptions (such as if you provide us with a photograph); (10) sensory information (such as if you call us and leave a voicemail); and (11) other information that identifies or can be reasonably associated with you. We may also collect non-personally identifiable information, such as the date and time of your visit, pages accessed, documents or coupons downloaded, the type of browser used, and other “traffic data” (“Traffic Data”). We may link Traffic Data to the Personal Information you submit while on the Sites, when you are logged into the Sites, or in connection with a service you have requested. For example, if you sign-up for Digital Deals, we will store your Digital ID together with your email address so that you can manage your account. Sharing your information is optional; you may decline to provide us with your Personal Information. However, failure to provide certain Personal Information may prevent you from accessing certain services offered on the Sites. As described below, you may review, change, or remove certain types of your Personal Information through your account settings
Use of InformationWe may use Traffic Data or Personal Information for business purposes, including to process, fulfill, or follow up with transactions, to send you information about Stater Bros., our services or promotional material (some of which are in connection with our partners), or to otherwise contact you. We may also use your Traffic Data or Personal Information to customize and tailor your experience on the Sites, for example, to display content that we think may be of interest to you. We may also use your Personal Information to inform you of any changes to the Sites, to verify your identity or check your qualifications, to add you to our mailing lists, or otherwise contact you with promotions or offers. We may also use your Personal Information to operate, understand, optimize, develop, or improve our Sites, including bug detection and error reporting, and to ensure security, fraud, and legal compliance, including detecting, investigating, and preventing activities that may violate our policies or be illegal. Traffic Data and Personal Information may be shared with third-party service providers and affiliates utilized by Stater Bros. to perform services for the Sites, including, without limitation, website hosting, maintenance of the Sites, providing key functions of the Sites, information processing, completing audits, responding to inquiries, sending email, fulfilling requests, and customizing or delivering coupons, marketing material, or advertisements. Service providers and affiliates may be provided with your Personal Information to perform core services related to the operation of the Sites (such as hosting or data storage and security) or perform services on your behalf that you initiate through the Sites. The service providers utilized by Stater Bros. and its affiliates are obligated to protect your Personal Information. Notwithstanding the above, we may disclose Personal Information if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to:
- conform with the law or comply with legal process such as a search warrant, subpoena, or court order;
- enforce or investigate potential violations of our policies, procedures, disclaimers, and conditions of use for the Sites;
- protect and defend our rights or property;
- investigate and defend ourselves against any third-party claims or allegations;
- investigate reports of users sending material using a false email address or users sending harassing, threatening, or abusive messages;
- protect against misuse or unauthorized use of the Sites; or
- during emergencies, such as when we believe someone’s physical safety is at risk or to protect the safety of the public or users of the Sites.
- With necessary third parties for compliance purposes like payment processing or identity verification, or when companies perform services on our behalf, like marketing, advertising, and customer service; however, these companies are prohibited from using your Personal Information for purposes other than those requested by us or required by law.
- When you allow us to share your Personal Information with another company, such as:
- Electing to share your Personal Information with carefully selected companies so that they can send you offers and promotions about their products and services;
- Directing us to share your Personal Information with third-party sites or platforms, such as social networking sites.
- In the event that all or a portion of our business is acquired by or merged with a third-party, we reserve the right, in any of these circumstances, to transfer or assign the information we have collected from you, including, without limitation, Traffic Data and Personal Information, to the third-party as part of such merger, acquisition, sale, or other change of control.
California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018The following section on the California Consumer Privacy Act (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.100 et seq.) (“CCPA”), applies to California residents who have certain rights regarding Personal Information collected by Stater Bros. It does not cover Personal Information not subject to the CCPA rights identified below, such as Personal Information we collect from our employees or job applicants. The CCPA does not extend all the rights identified below to Personal Information collected from employees, owners, directors, officers, or contractors of businesses in the course of our provision or receipt of business-related services.
California Residents Have the Following Rights Under CCPA
- Right to Know. Subject to certain exceptions, you have the right to know what specific pieces of Personal Information Stater Bros. has collected about you in the 12 months preceding your request, along with the categories of Personal Information we have collected, the categories of sources of that Personal Information, our business or commercial purpose for collecting your Personal Information, and the categories of third parties with whom we share your Personal Information. You may make this request no more than twice per 12-month period.
- Categories of Personal Information We Sell. Stater Bros. does not and will not sell your Personal Information.
- DO NOT SELL MY INFORMATION. Please submit your request via Phone, Email or the Website Contact form with topic Privacy Support.
- Right to Delete. Subject to certain exceptions, you have the right to request deletion of the Personal Information Stater Bros. has collected from you
.Pursuant to the CCPA, the exceptions include:
- Completing the transaction for which the Personal Information was collected;
- Detecting security incidents or protecting against and prosecuting malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity;
- Complying with our legal or compliance obligations; and
- Other reasons that are in connection with our lawful internal uses that are consistent with your relationship with us and the context in which the Personal Information was collected.
- Access to Metrics. You can access Stater Bros.’s metrics for the last calendar year about the number of requests to know and requests to delete we received, complied with in whole or in part, and denied, and the median number of days in which we responded to those requests, by going to www.staterbros.com/contact/.
- Non-Discrimination. Stater Bros. will not discriminate against you if you exercise your rights under CCPA. However, if your request requires us to delete, restrict, or not share information, please be advised that this will inhibit some functionality of the Site. Any subsequent interaction with the Site after deletion will require new requests for action on your data.
- To complete the verification process, we will ask you to both: (1) provide at least two pieces of evidence that match the Personal Information that we have on file for you, such as the email address you used when making a transaction or billing information such as the last 4 digits of the credit card used or the billing address for a transaction; and (2) provide a statement that you “declare under penalty of perjury” that you are the person about whom the request has been made. For requests for specific pieces of Personal Information, we will ask you to provide at least three pieces of evidence that match the Personal Information that we have on file for you.
Other Rights of California ResidentsIf you are a California resident, California Civil Code section 1798.83 permits you to request information regarding the disclosure of your Personal Information to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to email@example.com. Pursuant to California Civil Code section 1798.83(c)(2), we do not share your Personal Information with third parties’ direct marketing use unless you elect that we do so. If you are a California resident under the age of 18, and a registered user of any site where this policy is posted, California Business and Professions Code section 22581 permits you to request and obtain removal of content or information you have publicly posted. To make such a request, please contact us with a detailed description of the specific content or information. Please be aware that such a request does not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the content or information you have posted and that there may be circumstances in which the law does not require or allow removal even if requested.
MinorsWe understand and are committed to respecting the sensitive nature of children’s privacy online. We are a general audience site, and do not direct any of our content specifically at children under sixteen (16) years of age. We do not knowingly collect any Personal Information from children under the age of thirteen (13), and children under thirteen (13) are not permitted to register for an account or use our Sites. If we learn or have reason to suspect that a Site User is under the age of thirteen (13), we will promptly delete any Personal Information obtained from that User.
Third-Party WebsitesAt times, you may be prompted to leave the Sites under the control of Stater Bros. and enter an outside website, including, without limitation, the websites of InstaCart, Upromise and SavingStar. Stater Bros. does not make any representations or warranties about any affiliated or non-affiliated advertisers that may advertise on our Sites or any website you may access through our Sites. Any such advertiser or website is independent from Stater Bros., and Stater Bros. has limited or no control over or responsibility with respect to the information provided or activities undertaken by any such advertiser or website. Further, a link between our Sites and another website does not mean that Stater Bros. endorses that website. You need to make your own independent decisions regarding your interactions or communications with any other website. Please refer to the web address in your browser’s address bar to determine if you have left our Sites (i.e., coupons.staterbros.com or staterbros.com). Except as otherwise provided under applicable law, neither Stater Bros. or its corporate affiliates, nor the directors, officers, employees, agents, contractors, successors or assigns of each, shall be liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or related to the use of the Sites or any other website linked to or from the Sites. This limitation of liability applies to direct, indirect, consequential, special, punitive or other damages you or others may suffer, as well as damages for lost profits, business interruption or the loss of data or information, even if Stater Bros. is notified in advance of the potential for any such damages.