The vibrant green Hatch Chile pepper is in season and it’s available now at Stater Bros. Markets for a limited time! Never had one? When roasted, the pepper has a smoky, mildy spicy, and rich flavor unlike any other. Keep reading below and we’ll tell you how to roast them, peel them, store them, and where to find them.
What are Hatch Chiles?
Hatch Chiles are a unique variety of peppers grown in the Hatch Valley Region of New Mexico. These peppers usually have a very short season beginning in early August, and ending somewhere around late September. They’re a perfect addition to any recipe that needs a little bit of zing! Their delicious and smoky flavor is irresistable!
Roasting Hatch Chiles unlocks their flavors, creates a wonderful texture, and makes it easy to remove their tough outer skin.
Roasting and Peeling Steps:
- Wash peppers throughly under cold water and then pat dry with a towel.
- Roast peppers for 4-5 minutes on constant flame (we recommend using a propane grill) until skin is roasted evenly on all sides. You’ll notice the peppers become softer and have a nice char on the outside when they’re ready.
- Alternatively, you may roast the pepper by broiling them in the oven on a baking sheet. To do so, place peppers flat on an oven safe baking sheet lined with aluminum foil for 4-5 minutes and then flip over and continue broiling for an aditional 4-5 minutes. Again, you’re looking for an even char throughout the peppers.
- Remove from heat, and allow the peppers to “steam” inside a closed paper bag, heat safe plastic bag, or heat safe container with lid for 15 minutes. This allows for easy peeling.
- After peppers finish steaming they should be cool enough to handle and if not then allow them to cool before peeling.
- Peel the outer skin by hand, and remove the stem of the pepper by slicing it off.
- If you’d like to reduce the amount of heat remove the seeds and veins inside the pepper by slicing it open down the middle and removing the insides with a spoon. If you like heat, keep everything inside!
- After that you may chop as desired or keep them at full size.
- Make sure you wash your hands after handling peppers. Wearing gloves while peeling and chopping is recommended.
Storage is easy-peasy with Simply Done Storage Containers and Bags. Simply place peppers in an appropriate sized container or storage bag. Make sure to seal the container or if you’re using a bag, squeeze all the air out and seal completely. We recommend storing the peppers within 2 hours of roasting to keep the maximun flavor. Securely sealed peppers are safe to store in the freezer for up to 12 to 18 months.
Where can you find them?
Hatch Chiles are a seasonal pepper that are available at every Stater Bros. Market’s produce section. Hurry in, the Hatch Chile is only available for a short period and you’ll have to wait until next year if you don’t stop by soon. To find your neighborhood Stater Bros. Market nearest you click here.